Linux Networks & the Competition Act (Was: Fwd: [d at DCC] Competition Act)

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue Jun 16 21:43:07 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 04:19:50PM -0400, Darryl Moore wrote:
> D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
> >
> > Heck, even some basic facts are wrong.
> >
> > MS Windows Vista EULA now allows virtualization
> > 	http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080121-microsoft-relents-vista-virtualization-ban-lifted.html
> > It is not clear that PC vendors have bothered to change the EULA's
> > that they ship.  I checked with Acer and they were uninterested in
> > changing my EULA.
> >

> That is an interesting article you point to. Unfortunately I fear it is
> the article that has the facts wrong. Not this thread.
>
> Refer to the MS EULA directly here:
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/about/legal/useterms/default.aspx
>
> It is quite clear. The relevant section is the one titled WINDOWS VISTA
> HOME BASIC and/or WINDOWS VISTA HOME PREMIUM
>
> 4. USE WITH VIRTUALIZATION TECHNOLOGIES. You may not use the software
> installed on the licensed device within a virtual (or otherwise
> emulated) hardware system.
>
> I am afraid this is a slightly higher authority on MS license
> restrictions then a arstechnica.com article.

Well I just checked at http://www.microsoft.com/about/legal/useterms/default.aspx

And by selecting Vista SP1 Home Premium Retail edition, I found this in the license:

4. USE WITH VIRTUALIZATION TECHNOLOGIES. Instead of using the software directly on the
licensed device, you may install and use the software within only one virtual (or otherwise emulated)
hardware system on the licensed device. When used in a virtualized environment, content protected
by digital rights management technology, BitLocker or any full volume disk drive encryption
technology may not be as secure as protected content not in a virtualized environment. You should
comply with all domestic and international laws that apply to such protected content.

If you select Vista without SP1, then you get a license that says:
4. USE WITH VIRTUALIZATION TECHNOLOGIES. You may not use the software installed on the
licensed device within a virtual (or otherwise emulated) hardware system.

So as long as you use SP1, the license says you can do it.

If you select the OEM version, then there is no SP1 updated license,
and it still says no virtualization allowed.

Anyhow, if you have SP1 and a retail copy of vista, then virtualization
is OK by the license, otherwise it isn't, unless you have ultimate or
business or enterprise editions.

--
Len Sorensen