Linux desktop sluggish over time

Marc Lanctot lanctot-yfeSBMgouQgsA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Mon Jun 8 17:42:38 UTC 2009

I just wanted to thank everyone for their suggestions with this. It was
hard to tell if my problems were app-related but I doubted it since the
problems persisted even after I'd killed everything.

I spent the last two days completely reinstalling my machine. I tried
Debian amd64 but after a few hours of trying to get my printer working,
I decided it wasn't worth my time and gave Gentoo a shot.

So I'm now using Gentoo amd64, printer & scanner works (there were
ebuilds for it -- Canon PIXMA 520, this worked out of the box in
Ubuntu). Replaced Gnome with Xfce, TBird with Claws, and Firefox with
Epiphany. Flash plugin and 64-bit Java working (with sound).

A little drastic, but these aren't huge sacrifices when performace is
your first priority. ;-)

Now I just have to wait a few weeks to see what happens.

Marc