Linux desktop sluggish over time

ted leslie tleslie-RBVUpeUoHUc at public.gmane.org
Fri Jun 5 20:59:02 UTC 2009

i have noticed this at times with some distros,
things to watch out for:

vmware running a windows virtual OS .. windows can go off and do some crazy ass things, and maybe vmware is being tricked up to

vm swapping, especially if a app is leaking memory.

beagle and other search applications running in the background.

flash in firefox, flash sux large! can't wait till mono/moonlight stomps it out, flash is generaly the main thing
that kill linux in performance, and in ability to get ahead on the desktop

one day i read a article about settings of hinting, and font quality, and went into my setting,
and max'd out everything on hinting and quality .. and yeah it looked better .. then i forgot i did that.
A few days went by, sort of noticed a few apps lagging, got really bad,
this font quality, mixed with large OO files (xls, doc, etc), on the desktop, with virtual desktops,
doing flipping back and forth, and with overlayed windows, seems to trigger a tonne of unnecessary
redraws in the app, and sometimes your not aware of it. There is some settings in the xorg.conf file
for font cache type things on nvidia chipset that help.

aside from top and other monitoring, be aware of sys% in tasks, also flash drives have bitten me in the past to, causing weird slow downs,
but the newer highspeed ones certainly don't.

check vmstat for IN's and CS's getting crasy, in fact run  "vmstat 1" and log it, when your system is good, nd when its bad and look for diff's

-tl

ted leslie <tleslie-RBVUpeUoHUc at public.gmane.org>