Acanac...?

Erik (Caneris) erik_list-etARiVBfTZtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Sat Jul 11 23:22:30 UTC 2009

Tyler wrote:
> Erik,are you saying that you encrypt traffic between the customers'
> modem and your own endpoint, or is this just for employee's etc? Seems
> like a smart way of doing things, and if you've managed to thus avoid
> Bell's idiocy then I must applaud you for that! When you can't trust
> the corps or your government/regulators to ensure fair and unbiased
> service, it seems that a dedicated team of innovative "hackers" can
> still manage to get the job done.

The SSH tunnel feature is for customers. It allows our DSL customers to use any application which is able to use a SOCKS5 proxy to bypass the throttling. See http://www.caneris.com/Support#sshtunnel for an example.

This is not the same as encryption between the two PPP endpoints; for that we'd have to be doing MPPE on our LNSs and on the CPE side. There is also MLPPP, which is another method for avoiding the throttling. I commented on all of this briefly in another post, so I'll refrain from getting into the details here. As far as end users are concerned, the effects on their applications, namely bypassing Bell's throttling, are the same in all cases. There are various technical and usability advantages and disadvantages to each method.

> My main concern in this would be that if encryption became widespread,
> then Bell may end up throttling *all* the traffic for third-party
> ISP's down to a less-than-optimal level. However at that point I think
> that even the regulators couldn't ignore this as anti-competitive.

Right now the CRTC is in the midst of the Internet Traffic Management hearings, which may have an effect on the current DPI/throttling employed by Bell Canada. As I mentioned in another post, there are several matters before the Commission now which are bound to have an effect on all of this.

Erik