Acanac...?

Tyler Aviss tjaviss-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sat Jul 11 20:38:40 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jul 10, 2009 at 7:47 PM, Michael Lauzon<mlauzon-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> I think Bell may also be Traffic Shaping using the DSL modem, because
> when I open up the settings everything is going through UDP ports
> 6666, however I think this is only for their newer modems.
>

> --
> Sincerely,
>
> Michael Lauzon

I'd imagine in that case they're doing both then, as the modem for
most 3rd-party ISP's isn't supplied by Bell, yet they still seem to
get throttled or otherwise interfered with.

Erik,are you saying that you encrypt traffic between the customers'
modem and your own endpoint, or is this just for employee's etc? Seems
like a smart way of doing things, and if you've managed to thus avoid
Bell's idiocy then I must applaud you for that! When you can't trust
the corps or your government/regulators to ensure fair and unbiased
service, it seems that a dedicated team of innovative "hackers" can
still manage to get the job done.

My main concern in this would be that if encryption became widespread,
then Bell may end up throttling *all* the traffic for third-party
ISP's down to a less-than-optimal level. However at that point I think
that even the regulators couldn't ignore this as anti-competitive.