Question on OT topics in general

Robert Brockway robert-5LEc/6Zm6xCUd8a0hrldnti2O/JbrIOy at public.gmane.org
Wed Jul 1 06:52:18 UTC 2009

On Tue, 30 Jun 2009, Aviss,Tyler wrote:

> The question: where do we stand or draw the line on starting OT (non Linux)
> threads. Obviously as geeks/intellectuals/etc we have somewhat common

I've never had a problem woth OT posts, especially if marked as such.
Some of the most interesting threads I've seen are OT :)

> I don't often notice angry retorts to such things, so I'm guessing that such
> topics are acceptable on a "slow list day"

They are also easy to ignore.

> How about lists other than TLUG for such things in TO/Canada/anywhere?
>
> Is there a "technical/intellectual persons" list?

There's a list for just about any Internet/computer related topic you
could imagine.  Serious technical discussions continue to be dominated by
mailing lists, rather than blogs or whatever.

All of these lists see a steady stream of OT posts in my experience.  Some
lists are 'summary' lists only - some voluntary, some enforced by
moderation.  Summary lists normally don't see OT posts as a result of
their nature.

Outside computing my sense is that mailing lists have declined in
popularity in favour of other forms of communication.

Cheers,

Rob

--
I tried to change the world but they had a no-return policy
Projected IPv4 exhaustion: http://www.potaroo.net/tools/ipv4/index.html