KDE 4.2

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Wed Jan 28 14:50:28 UTC 2009

At last night's NewTLUG meeting, one of the side topics was the general
suckage of KDE4 that is now the default version shipped with Fedora,
Kubuntu and other distributions.

Interesting timing. Yesterday, KDE 4.2 came out of beta. I've been using
the beta for a few weeks on Kubuntu 8.10 and it seemed like a marked
improvement over the early 4.1 that came with the original distribution.
There were still some niggly things missing but nothing that was broken
(at least IMO).

Here's a review of 4.2 (using an early beta) from Ars Technica:
http://arstechnica.com/open-source/news/2008/12/hands-on-kde-4-2-beta-1.ars

While 4.2 will eventually make it into the official distributions,
Kubuntu users can get it using the separate KDE4.2 repository
(instructions are at http://www.kubuntu.org/news/kde-4.2). I hope that
the new release coaxes a few people back (I too abandoned KDE for GNOME
after I found the original 4.1 to be unusable, but much has been addressed).

Info on Fedora 4.2 is found at https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/KDE42

- Evan

PS: After Colin used Pachelbel's Canon as a media example in yesterday's
presentation, I was reminded of a video,
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=JdxkVQy7QLM , that should be heard by
anyone who wants to know that dark secrets of the Canon and how it
infects all modern music.