Copying files with spaces in them

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Jan 28 22:55:42 UTC 2009

I've got a Makefile that is trying to copy man pages into place;
unfortunately, since they are (somewhat legitimately) created with
spaces in them, the following breaks:

        for file in $(wildcard man1/*) ; do \
          $(INSTALL_DATA) $$file $(DESTDIR)$(mandir)/man1 || exit;\
       done
       for file in $(wildcard man7/*) ; do \
         $(INSTALL_DATA) $$file $(DESTDIR)$(mandir)/man7 || exit;\
       done

I'll bet Chris Johnson would have a better idiom he could suggest offhand ;-).
Marilyn Monroe  - "It's not true that I had nothing on. I had the radio on."