Unfortunate Ubuntu media coverage

Robert Brockway robert-5LEc/6Zm6xCUd8a0hrldnti2O/JbrIOy at public.gmane.org
Sun Jan 18 07:57:53 UTC 2009

On Sat, 17 Jan 2009, Peter wrote:

> Colin McGregor <colin.mc151 at ...> writes:
>>>    This was a reply to my comments, so allow me to elaborate. There are
>>> some people for whom computers are nothing but a tool. To those people,
>
> And that's exactly what they should be. Only a kernel developer, programmer, or

That's spot on.  The first thing I say about computers is that they are
tools.  It's why people use them, why I get paid to support them and even
why I find them interesting (a desire to make them better tools).

Comparing cars and computers can yield a lot of insights.

The automative industry is decades older than the computer industry.  For
the first few decades car owners _were_ more heavily involved in the
management of their vehicles.  Even as recently as the 1970s backyard car
maintenance was common.  More advanced (and computer maintained) engines
have rendered this infeasible for many.  In addition environmental
regulation has meant that some potential engine optimisations are actually
illegal.

The computer industry is still young and perhaps we expect to much
sometimes.  In 40 or 50 years I will expect computers with much higher
levels of reliability (in both h/w & s/w) with a far more intuitive
interface.

In the mean time I'll work towards a future based on open standards where
open source features prominantly.

Cheers,

Rob

--
I tried to change the world but they had a no-return policy