Unfortunate Ubuntu media coverage

Peter plpeter2006-/E1597aS9LQAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sat Jan 17 04:44:21 UTC 2009

Colin McGregor <colin.mc151 at ...> writes:
> >    This was a reply to my comments, so allow me to elaborate. There are
> > some people for whom computers are nothing but a tool. To those people,

And that's exactly what they should be. Only a kernel developer, programmer, or
other CS professional would be interested in the exact internals of his system.
Do you need to be able to build your car to drive it ? If it would be so no-one
but mr. Carl Benz would have a car.

> Well, I would rephrase that slightly, a fair number of people are
> interested in a (or a few) "killer application(s)". For example I

More exactly, they are interested in ONE 'killer' application at any one time,
mostly the one they make money with.

> $100,000 Nortel PBX with a $1,000 Linux box (Linux PC + special phone
> network cards) he was all in. It was the application that he cared

Exactly. Normal people care about the finality of what they do. PBX, email, word
processing, gaming or whatever.

> Like it or not though, a lot of people still see Windows as being the
> home to most "killer applications"...

And it is ... think bout what happens to the data when the OS freezes or
'sanitizes' itself. Byebye data == kill.

Aside: looking for 'Word' in Linux is the wrong question to ask. Looking for the
office productivity software in Linux is closer. Users who are looking for Word
in Linux are looking for the wrong thing in the wrong place. There is no point
in 'switching' them over.

Peter