Tomcat Based Webmail

Scott Elcomb psema4-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Jan 9 22:46:31 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jan 9, 2009 at 4:53 PM, Lennart Sorensen
> On Thu, Jan 08, 2009 at 05:55:59PM -0500, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
>> Is the problem that the systems coded in Java are just too big to do
>> well?
>
> Most things shouldn't be object oriented, and the overhead of forcing
> everything to be doesn't help.  A system designed to run as bytecode
> certainly doesn't either.

I'm not certain I fully agree with this sentiment.

"Forcing everything" to be object oriented doesn't necessarily require
alot of overhead.  I'm a big fan of component object models in
principle, but sure enough many implementations are way too bloated.

I also have no problem with bytecode; it makes sense in a environment
controlled at the (virtual) machine level.  Of course, if the objects
aren't written cleanly and/or efficiently the output is as good as
useless in serious applications.

Disclaimer: I am only vaguely familiar with Java.  I've fiddled with
it in order to researh some web capabilities, and like others have
mentioned, found that Perl, PHP, or any of a dozen other languages
could do the job better.  That said, I still want to give Java a
serious look - and being a fan of game design - I picked up a book
last month that covers both.  "Programming Video Games For The Evil
Genius" by Ian Cinnamon[*].

Truth be told, I picked it up because it included the words
"Programming Video Games" and "Linux" on the cover, however when I got
home I discovered several interesting things - including the fact that
everything' done in Java and that the book was written by a 15 year
old.

It reminds me a great deal of the numerous BASIC books I read as a
child and have found it rather useful in actually starting to write
code with Java.

[*] http://tinyurl.com/9grlsb (Google Books, ISBN: 978-0-07-149752-7)

--
  Scott Elcomb