Tomcat Based Webmail

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Fri Jan 9 21:53:31 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jan 08, 2009 at 05:55:59PM -0500, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
> I expect that you are right but I don't know why.
>
> The folks who implement Java have worked really hard to get the
> efficiency up and tell plausible stories about that.  Are they wrong?

Well you can't make up for people putting lousy algorithms on top of the
system.

> Is the problem caused by bloated libraries that are elegantly layered
> too deeply?

It isn't unusual on the bell web site that when you submit info on a
page that it sends it to a page that sends it to another page, etc, and
you see the url change 10 times before getting to the next page.
Clearly not efficient design.

> Is the problem due to Java programmers?  Perhaps quantity, not
> quality?

Well certainly I have seen a lot of java programmers who really don't
qualify to be called programmers.  More like java code monkeys.  They
stick things together, in often inefficient ways, but rarely do they
really implement any new libraries.

> Is the problem that the systems coded in Java are just too big to do
> well?

Most things shouldn't be object oriented, and the overhead of forcing
everything to be doesn't help.  A system designed to run as bytecode
certainly doesn't either.

> What do you think is going on?

Object oriented programming requires a good design to be efficient in
most cases, and most of the people doing the java work aren't capable of
doing such a design, and they usually don't even try by the looks of it.

Java seems to try to make a lot of stuff seem easy when it isn't.  A lot
like visual basic that way, or even excel.

--
Len Sorensen