Tomcat Based Webmail

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Fri Jan 9 23:02:56 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jan 09, 2009 at 05:46:31PM -0500, Scott Elcomb wrote:
> I'm not certain I fully agree with this sentiment.
>
> "Forcing everything" to be object oriented doesn't necessarily require
> alot of overhead.  I'm a big fan of component object models in
> principle, but sure enough many implementations are way too bloated.

I am highly against object oriented programming for almost everything.
Managing GUI components is one of the few places I think they have any
benefit.  I am highly in favour of functional programming.  The future
will be very much in need of code that can run on multiple processors
and functional code can map transparently to multiple processors without
help from the programmer, while most current object oriented systems can
not.  F# and ocaml may potentially be able to do both.  Time will tell.
People spend too much time worrying about how the computer does things
in their code rather than focusing on telling it what they want done.
if you want a certain operation done to every element of a list, then
say so, don't start telling it what order to do it in and how to
allocate temporary memory for each one.

> I also have no problem with bytecode; it makes sense in a environment
> controlled at the (virtual) machine level.  Of course, if the objects
> aren't written cleanly and/or efficiently the output is as good as
> useless in serious applications.

No virtual machines are usually running native code because that's what
is efficient.  The 'run anyerywhere' idea was interesting, but also
inefficient and never worked as advertised.  So we got the inefficiency
and none of the benefit.

> Disclaimer: I am only vaguely familiar with Java.  I've fiddled with
> it in order to researh some web capabilities, and like others have
> mentioned, found that Perl, PHP, or any of a dozen other languages
> could do the job better.  That said, I still want to give Java a
> serious look - and being a fan of game design - I picked up a book
> last month that covers both.  "Programming Video Games For The Evil
> Genius" by Ian Cinnamon[*].
>
> Truth be told, I picked it up because it included the words
> "Programming Video Games" and "Linux" on the cover, however when I got
> home I discovered several interesting things - including the fact that
> everything' done in Java and that the book was written by a 15 year
> old.

If you want something fun to play with for making little games, then go
play with python and pygame.  That is fun, simple, and quite efficient
too.  And it actually has a good chance of running on lots of platforms,
including both linux and windows.

> It reminds me a great deal of the numerous BASIC books I read as a
> child and have found it rather useful in actually starting to write
> code with Java.

Ah BASIC.  I made the mistake of using that once upon a time.  Other
than I suppose getting me interested in programming, it was far from
helpful in actually learning to program.

--
Len Sorensen