Tomcat Based Webmail

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Jan 8 23:12:37 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jan 8, 2009 at 5:55 PM, D. Hugh Redelmeier <hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> | From: Lennart Sorensen <lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org>
>
> | Well no idea there, since I simply avoid anything to do with java on
> | principle.  Don't forget to prepare to have 10times the hardware
> | resources available of what something like php would reuqire to do the
> | same job.
> |
> | All I ever see from tomcat (and other java servers) is awfully slow
> | service.  Bell canada's web site is one of the worst I have tried to
> | deal with.  The world will be a better place when java is banned from
> | use.
>
> I expect that you are right but I don't know why.
>
> The folks who implement Java have worked really hard to get the
> efficiency up and tell plausible stories about that.  Are they wrong?
>
> Is the problem caused by bloated libraries that are elegantly layered
> too deeply?
>
> Is the problem due to Java programmers?  Perhaps quantity, not
> quality?
>
> Is the problem that the systems coded in Java are just too big to do
> well?
>
> What do you think is going on?

What I have seen is that:

a) There are Java frameworks that get mighty heavyweight;

b) Organizations get enthralled with using those frameworks to allow
them to have naive developers working on "enterprise applications."

I have also seen a tendancy for developers to use Java naively and
ignore that operations have costs, both in terms of memory usage and
in terms of "Big O."

C developers know that it costs something every time they do a
malloc(); they see that cost.  Every time they create a pointer, they
have to manage the memory, so they are excruciatingly aware of the
costs.

In contrast, instantiating an instance of an object class, in Java,
causes similar costs to be paid, but as the cost wasn't visible up
front, the developer might be blissfully unaware that there even was a
cost.  Especially if they are naive :-).

And yes, the more layers there are between the developer and the code
that gets executed, the more difficult it may be to realize what the
costs could be.
Douglas William Jerrold  - "The only athletic sport I ever mastered
was backgammon."