Tomcat Based Webmail

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Thu Jan 8 22:55:59 UTC 2009

| From: Lennart Sorensen <lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org>

| Well no idea there, since I simply avoid anything to do with java on
| principle.  Don't forget to prepare to have 10times the hardware
| resources available of what something like php would reuqire to do the
| same job.
|
| All I ever see from tomcat (and other java servers) is awfully slow
| service.  Bell canada's web site is one of the worst I have tried to
| deal with.  The world will be a better place when java is banned from
| use.

I expect that you are right but I don't know why.

The folks who implement Java have worked really hard to get the
efficiency up and tell plausible stories about that.  Are they wrong?

Is the problem caused by bloated libraries that are elegantly layered
too deeply?

Is the problem due to Java programmers?  Perhaps quantity, not
quality?

Is the problem that the systems coded in Java are just too big to do
well?

What do you think is going on?