Linux drove me to get a Mac

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Thu Jan 8 16:18:02 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jan 07, 2009 at 05:40:04PM -0500, Evan Leibovitch wrote:
> That's obvious to most people here, but not the point of the critique.
>
> KDE4 was shipped by Ubuntu/Kubuntu (in preference to sticking with KDE3)
> as part of a non-beta version of a major distribution. This distribution
> is being recommended and given to people who may be new to Linux or
> unfamiliar with the available alternatives (let alone the methods
> required to enable them). In this environment, even us old-timers are
> seeing that KDE4.1 is just not up to the task. And if experienced users
> are having some frustrations, newcomers will have them tenfold.

And Debian Lenny will ship with KDE 3.5, not KDE 4.  I guess at least
Debian realizes KDE4 is nowhere near ready for use.

> The inclusion of KDE4 in Kubuntu 8.10 indicates a serious QC problem
> within the ubuntu community. For release 8.04 KDE4 was made available as
> a non-default option. In retrospect that policy should have been
> maintained for 8.10, a view that is not mitigated by the availability of
> GNOME as an option.

That's not exactly news.  I remember a year or two ago, a minor update
broke the X server on a lot of machines.  It simply comes down to one
thing:  Fixed release dates causes garbage releases, and ubuntu is no
exception.

--
Len Sorensen