Linux drove me to get a Mac

Andrej Marjan amarjan-e+AXbWqSrlAAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Jan 9 02:49:35 UTC 2009

On January 7, 2009 10:27:05 pm Evan Leibovitch wrote:

> I also have spots of the bottom panel occasionally flickering or completely
> disappearing until I move the mouse pointer over them. KDE problem or
> Kubuntu? Doesn't matter. New users who encounter them will blame
> "Linux" and run back to XP or Vista or maybe Macs.

KDE4 has been pushing the envelope with the graphics stack, and they're the
first users of various bits of X functionality so they've encountered all
sorts of graphics bugs along the way.

Do you have nvidia graphics? If so, you'll probably want to grab the latest
beta driver. I have 180.something and it's the first one that's been
completely stable and artifact-free with KDE4, compositing and Open Office at
the same time, with no special xorg.conf settings to boot. It also seems to
work around some flash video brain damage.

This is on openSUSE 11.1, though, and I know the Novell people have put in a
lot of work to stabilize and feature-fix KDE 4.1.

Personally, I gave up on Kubuntu last summer because of the lack of manpower,
stability and general polish. I miss Debian's apt and multiverse, but on the
whole I like openSUSE so far, and I really like the usable and stable KDE4
(with smattering of KDE3 apps).