Linux drove me to get a Mac

Kamran Khan linuxdarkstar-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Jan 9 03:04:33 UTC 2009

On 6-Jan-09, at 3:54 PM, John McGregor wrote:

> Kamran Khan wrote:
>> After 7 years of Linux being my primary desktop operating system at
>> home(I tinkered with Linux since the Walnut Creek days) I jumped to a
>> MacBook with Leopard.  OS X is basically BSD UNIX with nice candy on
>> top so you all the command tools that I came to love in UNIX and
>> Linux
>> are pretty much available.  OS X has better support for hardware,
>> especially gadgets like cell phones and cameras.  Not as much as
>> Windows but more then Linux and major vendors like Nokia release
>> their
>> software natively for OS X.  OS X has better support for games, some
>> of the big games are native on OS X and of course there is Wine and
>> Cedega.  OS X has much better integration between its applications
>> like iCal and mail.app.  Lastly, overall OS X is more "polished" then
>> Linux.  Linux as server operating system is excellent but when you
>> move closer and closer to end user applications you see a lack of
>> refinement, lack of polish, sometimes a lot of instability and very
>> poor integration.  The fasciation of getting things to work with
>> Linux
>> has long since passed and when I buy a printer I pretty much just
>> want
>> to plug it in.  You pay a big premium for what is essentially PC
>> hardware but so far it has proven to be the best desktop os I can
>> find.  So long Linux, see you on embedded devices everywhere.
> Ultimately platform choice is about getting your own work done. Your
> message indicates that you have discovered that Apple provides a more
> efficient / productive platform for you. That's a good thing. There
> is,
> however, an undercurrent in your post that seems to state that the
> rest
> of us on this list don't get it. We do. Linux is our platform of
> choice.
> It empowers us to get our work done.

Sadly you don't get it.  It would seem that many of your cohorts on
the list do not either.  For example the solution to print on
Linux(Desktop) is to buy a postscript printer.  The solution to allow
me to sync my SE Smart Phone with applications running on the Linux
Desktop is?  Yes I know, buy hardware that works with Linux.  Like I
said you don't get it.  I fail to see how your operating system
empowers you when clearly you are a slave to it.