Linux drove me to get a Mac

Tyler Aviss tjaviss-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Jan 8 01:01:02 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jan 7, 2009 at 5:40 PM, Evan Leibovitch <evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Chris F.A. Johnson wrote:
>
>>> Of course, then I tried ubuntu 8.10 with **KDE4... and thus far -
>>> while it looks "prettier" - the broken functionality over KDE3 tends
>>> to lead to think that even Linux, at least in terms of the UI, is far
>>> from faultless in this regard.
>>
>>   KDE != Linux
>>
>>   If KDE4 doesn't work for you, you can use another DM/WM or whatever.
>
> That's obvious to most people here, but not the point of the critique.
>
> KDE4 was shipped by Ubuntu/Kubuntu (in preference to sticking with KDE3) as
> part of a non-beta version of a major distribution. This distribution is
> being recommended and given to people who may be new to Linux or unfamiliar
> with the available alternatives (let alone the methods required to enable
> them). In this environment, even us old-timers are seeing that KDE4.1 is
> just not up to the task. And if experienced users are having some
> frustrations, newcomers will have them tenfold.
>
> The inclusion of KDE4 in Kubuntu 8.10 indicates a serious QC problem within
> the ubuntu community. For release 8.04 KDE4 was made available as a
> non-default option. In retrospect that policy should have been maintained
> for 8.10, a view that is not mitigated by the availability of GNOME as an
> option.
>
> - Evan

In 8.10 the ability to stick with KDE3 disappeared as well, so anyone
upgrading and wanting the other good things about Intrepid also have
to eat the not-so-good things that happen when moving to KDE4.

Of course KDE isn't Linux, but it is one of the two bigger contenders
in terms of WM/DM. Certainly I could have continued to update my own
kernels etc (usually do anyhow) to keep my drivers up-to-date while
sticking with Hardy, but really the whole thing seems to be something
of a debacle.

Of course I could also have switched distros entirely, but I've been
through that before and it's generally not worth the headache.
Hopefully KDE4/Ubuntu will grow post these little hiccups sometime
soon, but it would have been nice if the change hadn't been quite so
*forced*.

Tyler Aviss
Systems Support
LPIC/LPIC-2