Linux drove me to get a Mac

CLIFFORD ILKAY clifford_ilkay-biY6FKoJMRdBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Thu Jan 8 02:41:02 UTC 2009

Tyler Aviss wrote:
> In 8.10 the ability to stick with KDE3 disappeared as well, so anyone
> upgrading and wanting the other good things about Intrepid also have
> to eat the not-so-good things that happen when moving to KDE4.

What are these "good things" that one would miss?

> Of course KDE isn't Linux, but it is one of the two bigger contenders
> in terms of WM/DM. Certainly I could have continued to update my own
> kernels etc (usually do anyhow) to keep my drivers up-to-date while
> sticking with Hardy, but really the whole thing seems to be something
> of a debacle.

If the kernel in Hardy is working, what is the point of "updating" to a
newer kernel? It seems to me your reasons for complaining about KDE 4
are pretty flimsy, just like they are for the majority of people whining
about KDE 4.

> Of course I could also have switched distros entirely, but I've been
> through that before and it's generally not worth the headache.
> Hopefully KDE4/Ubuntu will grow post these little hiccups sometime
> soon, but it would have been nice if the change hadn't been quite so
> *forced*.

Sigh... no one "forced" you to "upgrade" to Intrepid. Did Hardy stop
working? No. Can you still get support for Hardy? Yes. Are there other
distros that give you the choice of running KDE 3? Yes, though KDE 3 is
really only on maintenance now and will not be upgraded.
--
Regards,

Clifford Ilkay
Dinamis