Linux drove me to get a Mac

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Wed Jan 7 22:40:04 UTC 2009

Chris F.A. Johnson wrote:

>> Of course, then I tried ubuntu 8.10 with **KDE4... and thus far -
>> while it looks "prettier" - the broken functionality over KDE3 tends
>> to lead to think that even Linux, at least in terms of the UI, is far
>> from faultless in this regard.
>
>    KDE != Linux
>
>    If KDE4 doesn't work for you, you can use another DM/WM or whatever.

That's obvious to most people here, but not the point of the critique.

KDE4 was shipped by Ubuntu/Kubuntu (in preference to sticking with KDE3)
as part of a non-beta version of a major distribution. This distribution
is being recommended and given to people who may be new to Linux or
unfamiliar with the available alternatives (let alone the methods
required to enable them). In this environment, even us old-timers are
seeing that KDE4.1 is just not up to the task. And if experienced users
are having some frustrations, newcomers will have them tenfold.

The inclusion of KDE4 in Kubuntu 8.10 indicates a serious QC problem
within the ubuntu community. For release 8.04 KDE4 was made available as
a non-default option. In retrospect that policy should have been
maintained for 8.10, a view that is not mitigated by the availability of
GNOME as an option.

- Evan