KDE4

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Wed Jan 7 18:45:03 UTC 2009

Lennart Sorensen wrote:
>> Of course, then I tried ubuntu 8.10 with **KDE4... and thus far -
>> while it looks "prettier" - the broken functionality over KDE3 tends
>> to lead to think that even Linux, at least in terms of the UI, is far
>> from faultless in this regard.
>>

> kde4 just seems broken in many ways.  It's nearly imposible to find
> where to configure things and make it work like it should.  I don't know
> what the kde people were thinking with that.

I agree, There are too many things that seem missing, poorly placed, or
changed for the sake of change.
The new file browser (dolphin) is a bug step up in usability over KDE3
but they haven't yet enabled video thumbnails.

Firefox and Thunderbird specifically seem less stable since I upgraded,
with the former crashing about once daily at random spots.
I used to be able to right-click on an archive file and have it extract
to a subdirectory; that's gone now.
I find the new default window look-and-feels jarring and will probably
look to re-install some Crystal themes.
The darker panels and menus (a look shared with Vista) make it look more
like a gamerz environment than a home or business system.
And I guess I just can't think enough out of the box yet to appreciate
the KDE newfound obsession with floating widgets (even though there
really aren't very many to choose from)

In all there seems to be plenty of potential but I feel like I'm
participating in a beta test and not a production-grade distribution.
KDE 4.2 is supposed to fix a zillion little things (as I was told 4.1
did before that) and I'm cautiously optimistic that it might be ready
for public consumption at that point. But not yet.

>> ** Has anyone else tried KDE4? I'd love to swap notes and try to sort out the big annoyance it's become.

Sure, but I don't know how much help I'll be. I'm encountering more
annoyances than I'm solving....

- Evan