Linux drove me to get a Mac

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Wed Jan 7 17:29:09 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jan 07, 2009 at 10:10:37AM -0500, Tyler Aviss wrote:
> I remember one that always used to tweak the nose of Linux people but
> (especially now that I use BSD for most of the work servers these
> days) I find rather amusing:
>
> "Linux is for people who hate windows, BSD is for those who love freedom" :-)

Well certainly the GPL is about keeping code free.  The BSD license is
about keeping users free.

> Honestly, there are things I *love* about Macs, Linux, BSD, and even
> windows. Equally, there are things I absolutely hate about them all as
> well.

Hmm, I hate the price of macs, but the OS is nice.
I love linux, although it doesn't always work great for everything.
I love the quality of BSD, but hate their entire userspace (init, shell,
etc)
I love being able to play games on windows, but hate the price and how
many restrictions microsoft wants to put on what you do with it, the
registry, how difficult it is to fix when it breaks because everything
is hidden in a binary database and there is no reliable way to just boot
and go in and fix it, the fact it is tied to a specific machine (I can
move a drive from one machine to another with linux and almost always
just boot and use it, not so with windows).

> One thought I had though, was that the newer version of MacOS (OSX
> version previous especially)/Linux/BSD tend to have significantly more
> to offer over others, and - at least with Vista - there hasn't been
> visibly that much more in the windows world (certainly 2k/XP was a big
> step up from 9x in many ways though).
>
> Of course, then I tried ubuntu 8.10 with **KDE4... and thus far -
> while it looks "prettier" - the broken functionality over KDE3 tends
> to lead to think that even Linux, at least in terms of the UI, is far
> from faultless in this regard.

kde4 just seems broken in many ways.  It's nearly imposible to find
where to configure things and make it work like it should.  I don't know
what the kde people were thinking with that.

> ** Has anyone else tried KDE4? I'd love to swap notes and try to sort
> out the big annoyance it's become.

I am running it, although I use very little of it so it doesn't seem to
bother me too much.

--
Len Sorensen