(OT) Cameras in low light

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Jan 5 15:48:33 UTC 2009

On Fri, Dec 19, 2008 at 12:47:06PM -0500, Jamon Camisso wrote:
> Full frame, APS-C, 4:3, the sensor format (while it does matter a
> little) won't make a bit of difference without good lenses. Seriously,
> if going the DSLR route, lenses are the most important part. Sounds like
> you're after the so called "fast fifty", that is a 50mm prime lens with
> maximum aperture of f1.4 (or lower but those are pricey).
>
> Here's an example with one handheld, f1.4 at 1/20s, iso400. My camera is
> not full frame and I'd happily make 24"x36" prints with it's measly
> 10mpx APS-C sensor. http://flickr.com/photos/jamonation/3090300056/ It's
> all in the glass..

NO, it certainly is NOT all in the glass.  The lens is very important,
but a sensor with 2 or 3 times the surface area will receive more light
and _should_ be able to handle lower light conditions.  There is
apparently also difference in sensor technology (CMOS, CCD).

Of course a crappy lens that doesn't let light in in the first place
won't help you no matter what sensor you have.  So good lens + good
sensor = good setup.

--
Len Sorensen