Linux friendly cameras

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Jan 5 15:39:16 UTC 2009

On Fri, Dec 19, 2008 at 12:20:19PM -0500, Giles Orr wrote:
> http://www.dpreview.com/ offers full technical specs for almost every
> digital camera ever made (including video resolution and fps ... but
> not necessarily the format it seems, sorry).  They also provide
> extensive reviews of many of the cameras.
>
> To address Joe's original question, I'd like to suggest (along with a
> few others) taking the card out of the camera and plugging it into a
> card reader.  This is very easy and avoids all compatibility problems,
> and (a minor and as yet unmentioned detail) doesn't use the camera
> battery.  Or require you to carry what's often a proprietary cable.

Well having mainly dealt with canon and panasonic so far, I have only
ever seen the standard USB2 micro connector.  So same cable on
everything.  Who uses a proprietary connector anymore?

> I have a Nikon 5400 which spent six months in southeast Asia with me,
> and has now taken over 7000 photos: wear on the CF slot and cards is a
> non-issue despite the frequency with which I've pulled them out and
> put them in.  It's designed for that and you'd have to be really rough
> on them to cause significant damage.  The same thing applies to SD
> cards or pretty much any other removable media.

CF is quite durable.  SD isn't bad either, but the USB connector is a
lot tougher, and easier to get to in most cases.  And unless your
computer has the card reader built in, then you have yet another device
to carry around.

--
Len Sorensen-