NewTLUG and Seneca?

Daniel Gardiner dgardiner0821-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Thu Feb 26 00:46:46 UTC 2009

--- On Wed, 2/25/09, Colin McGregor <colin.mc151-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
Last evening I went out to talk about Linux Games at the Seneca
NewTLUG meeting... What can I say, the turnout was to be polite, sad
... very sad ... More to the point, this isn't the first time I've
done a Seneca talk, where the total peak attendance was under 5
people.

I am happy enough to help, preparing talks, etc., as I am currently
looking for a new job, I have the time at present. But, not much point
in doing the talk prep. work when I can count my audience on the
fingers of one hand, and have fingers left over... The January meeting
at IBM had over 20 people show up (which was a reasonable enough
crowd), this month it was 3 ...

So, how do we fix this? We could:

- Have all NewTLUG meetings at IBM (but this could be hard on Paul Mora).
- Not have meetings when there is an issue with IBM
- Find better ways to promote Seneca as a meeting location
- Find better public speakers than me
- Find another venue when IBM isn't available
- None of the above?

Ideas, suggestions?

Thanks

Colin McGregor

I'd suggest first asking people why they are not attending (and what could get them out to meetings) and then look for suggestions on how to address the issues.  Perhaps start with a poll / survey on the website?  I notice that the page at http://tlug.ss.org/wiki/NewTLUG_meetings wasn't updated for last night's meeting, that might have been a contributing factor.