Advice for a document management system

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Fri Feb 6 14:37:50 UTC 2009

On Thu, Feb 05, 2009 at 02:51:20PM -0500, phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org wrote:
> I'd put this differently. We use the OO word processor for short documents
> (letters, invoices, datasheets) and it works well. We use Latex for longer
> documents or documents that contain a lot of math. So the right tool
> depends on the job.
>
> In my experience word processors do not scale well to large documents, but
> they can be used as a publishing tool for simple documents such as a
> two-page data sheet. Using Latex to write a letter is like using a chop
> saw on balsa wood.

I used latex to do my essays at university.  Of course I only had an
account on unix systems being in the math faculty doing CS, so I had no
word processor.

Latex (and tex in general) isn't really that hard to sue and you get to
focus on writing your content and not really worrying about the layout
because the layout will be 100% consistent and good looking.

Latex looks scary, but I think most people highly overestimate the
difficulty of using it.  It fails at the instant gratification that a
WYSIWYG tool gives you, but then again people were much more productice
with wordperfect 5.1 with a text display than they are with word because
they spend too much time playing with formating.

--
Len Sorensen