Advice for a document management system

phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org
Thu Feb 5 19:51:20 UTC 2009

> A word processor's job is to let an amateur create pretty documents.  It
> is not a tool for creating real documents and publishing them.

I'd put this differently. We use the OO word processor for short documents
(letters, invoices, datasheets) and it works well. We use Latex for longer
documents or documents that contain a lot of math. So the right tool
depends on the job.

In my experience word processors do not scale well to large documents, but
they can be used as a publishing tool for simple documents such as a
two-page data sheet. Using Latex to write a letter is like using a chop
saw on balsa wood.

--
Peter Hiscocks
Syscomp Electronic Design Limited, Toronto