Scanners and Linux

Stephen stephen-d-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Tue Dec 1 14:25:21 UTC 2009

I have a multi function Canon MX320.

I run Ubuntu 9.10.

I donwloaded the drivers from Canon's web site. There were two debian package files, one for printing and one for scanning.

I installed both packages.

Printing works. Scanning does not.

xSANE does not see the device.

When I print, I see two entries in the printer dialog. One is for the MX320 as printer, and one for the MX320 as scanner.

The printer line is connected, and I use it successfuly.

The scanner line is marked as not connected.

I found this discussused in formums using Google, but I am a little reluctant to start following suggested steps because I installed a package I would think takes care of all the setup.

So I am asking the experts here for advise before I break something :)

Thanks
Stephen