Migrate MySQL... or not...

CLIFFORD ILKAY clifford_ilkay-biY6FKoJMRdBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Fri Aug 21 19:11:14 UTC 2009

On 21/08/09 02:20 PM, Madison Kelly wrote:
> I was thinking of asking MySQL folks what they liked over PostgreSQL and
> vice versa. Then try to put together the info... Maybe even develop some
> (simple) benchmarks to try.

I rarely meet anyone who uses MySQL who knows anything about PostgreSQL
so if you ask them, they'll typically parrot what other ignorant people
have written ten years ago. It is true that MySQL was faster, in some
sense of that word, more than ten years ago. It was also true that
Postgres was buggy, again, more than ten years ago. Neither has been the
case for close to a decade. There is simply nothing that MySQL has to
offer today that PostgreSQL doesn't offer or do better. Anyone who
thinks they're interchangeable simply doesn't know what they're talking
about.

> I've been a long-time fan of PostgreSQL, but I think the challenge of
> being neutral would be good for me. :)

I don't care if you're neutral. Anyone who has used and understands both
databases can't be.

I've written on the subject of MySQL vs. PostgreSQL on other lists. I'll
refer you to two examples.

<http://omnis-dev.com/pipermail/omnisdev-en/2009-February/005142.html>

<http://omnis-dev.com/pipermail/omnisdev-en/2009-February/005164.html>
--