Migrate MySQL... or not...

William Muriithi william.muriithi-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Aug 21 21:17:26 UTC 2009

Clifford,

Please, I have NO attachment to either of the database, so do not take
this as criticism.
> I've written on the subject of MySQL vs. PostgreSQL on other lists. I'll
> refer you to two examples.
>
> <http://omnis-dev.com/pipermail/omnisdev-en/2009-February/005142.html>
This quote is from the above link.

If someone told me they wanted to use MySQL for a dinky web site with
light traffic, I'd tell them, "If you insist, go ahead. It won't make
much difference but, why bother if you have the choice?" Particularly if
your dataset is so large and your queries so complex that it will tax
*any* database and you don't have the resources of a Yahoo or a Google
to co-develop MySQL, you should be looking at another database.

I find above quote contradicting. If you may allow me to paraphrase
it, it essentially claim google and yahoo uses mysql just because they
have resources. That does not sound convincing enough to me. Even with
a lot of resources, I would expect them to choose use the better of
the two as that would offer them a competitive advantage.

I think its extensive use of mysql is  akin to why Cisco is widely
used that Juniper. That's just a guess, and hopefully Madi will have a
couple of slides of why mysql tend to be more favored in corporate
world and heck, by even most of the open source project seem to offer
mysql over PostgreSQL

Again, the above is a polite opinion and in no way intended to be a flame.

William