Migrate MySQL... or not...

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Aug 19 16:56:32 UTC 2009

On Wed, Aug 19, 2009 at 12:32 PM, tug<tug.williams-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> I have a server running at home (actually mandriva 2008 or maybe 2007 :S ),
> I've migrated tasks away from it to another machine (Gentoo), which was
> originally my play box, but is now destined to become my server, and I'll
> install something sensible on my old server and play on that one.
>
> The only function of the old server is now to provide the MySQL database
> backend for a phpbb installation that's running on my Gentoo box - I use the
> bb for single user personal work log / knowledge base. It also has some
> other data from old projects that I still want to keep, but don't have time
> to use at the moment.
>
> I have been intending on migrate the database to the gentoo box, but had
> some problems copying the DB over - I assumed it would be trivial, but it
> wasn't... not investigated what the problem is yet (data but no permissions
> I think), but...
>
> At TLUG meetings I've heard negative comments about MySQL, and that Postgres
> is a better option. If I've got to go through hoops (aka read manuals and
> look at log files) to get the database migrated, should I also consider
> switching databases?
>
> I don't need to keep the db server up during migration.

There is some understanding and tooling for this sort of thing:
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Converting_from_other_Databases_to_PostgreSQL#MySQL

You should certainly do "test runs" to discover if there are any
notable "gotchas" that will result.
Stephen Leacock  - "I detest life-insurance agents: they always argue
that I shall some day die, which is not so." -
http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/s/stephen_leacock.html