Migrate MySQL... or not...

ted leslie tleslie-RBVUpeUoHUc at public.gmane.org
Wed Aug 19 16:48:24 UTC 2009

both are easy to export and import data,
i used to use mysql a tonne
but changed to postgres 5-6 years ago, due to its store procedure language support.
I hate SP, but others on my team needed it.
(fortunetly c# support at the SP level is coming soon, so then i will be very happy).
but mysql is supposed to have decent sp language choice now (i heard).

i have heard one person say the mysql might have an edge on clustering,
and postgres maybe an edge still in language support,
but all in all, i generally think they are very close.
i went from mysql to postgres with almost no learning curve.

googling on eithers export/import ability should give you tonnes of results,
the only issue i have ever had is when you migrate data across versions of either,
especially with respect to SP stuff.

in postgres (and mysql should have same), you can do a text based with full insert
dump, that can then be imported back in, which is good for migration across versions,
or even DB's.
there is a product called enterprise DB that you can trial, and depending on what features
you like, can even keep for free. I has a data migration process , i can't remember if
it migrates from mysql, it does from oracle. enterpriseDB, is just postgres, with some added
extras and commercial support and indemnity if you need it, it also has some clustering ability,etc.

-tl

ted leslie <tleslie-RBVUpeUoHUc at public.gmane.org>