Migrate MySQL... or not...

Robert Brockway robert-5LEc/6Zm6xCUd8a0hrldnti2O/JbrIOy at public.gmane.org
Thu Aug 20 13:37:14 UTC 2009

On Wed, 19 Aug 2009, tug wrote:

> At TLUG meetings I've heard negative comments about MySQL, and that Postgres
> is a better option. If I've got to go through hoops (aka read manuals and
> look at log files) to get the database migrated, should I also consider
> switching databases?

MySQL vs Postgres is like vi vs Emacs or Linux vs FreeBSD.

The reality tends to show that each has advantages over the other
depending on the workload.

Even if you found that Postgres was faster than MySQL for your application
it is unlikely that the difference would be enough for your to care.
Under low load the bottleneck probably isn't the DB at all.

OTOH the best way to learn about an app is to use it, so if you want to
get experience with Postgres, then by all meants switch over.

Cheers,

Rob

--
I tried to change the world but they had a no-return policy
Projected IPv4 exhaustion: http://www.potaroo.net/tools/ipv4/index.html