Migrate MySQL... or not...

tug tug.williams-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Aug 19 16:32:38 UTC 2009

I have a server running at home (actually mandriva 2008 or maybe 2007 :S
), I've migrated tasks away from it to another machine (Gentoo), which
was originally my play box, but is now destined to become my server, and
I'll install something sensible on my old server and play on that one.

The only function of the old server is now to provide the MySQL database
backend for a phpbb installation that's running on my Gentoo box - I use
the bb for single user personal work log / knowledge base. It also has
some other data from old projects that I still want to keep, but don't
have time to use at the moment.

I have been intending on migrate the database to the gentoo box, but had
some problems copying the DB over - I assumed it would be trivial, but
it wasn't... not investigated what the problem is yet (data but no
permissions I think), but...

At TLUG meetings I've heard negative comments about MySQL, and that
Postgres is a better option. If I've got to go through hoops (aka read
manuals and look at log files) to get the database migrated, should I
also consider switching databases?

I don't need to keep the db server up during migration.

Tug