wifi 450-500 feet, almost line of sight, anyone done this?

ted leslie tleslie-RBVUpeUoHUc at public.gmane.org
Sat Aug 15 02:40:26 UTC 2009

I need to clarify,
only one end is under my control,
the other end is just a portable with wifi, and if its not good wifi (built in),
then a pcmcia or usb wifi stick.

i bought a panasonic tough book (sand/splash resistant, and bright outdoor screen),
and myself and a bunch of the home owners on my street
own a beach lot on Georgian Bay,
infront and diagonal from my house,
so its about 450'-500' away,
I simply want to wifi from there (back to my house),
my 3 year old linksys wifi and asus Eee
come up easily 150' short, probably closer to 250',
but then I didnt put the linksys on my roof.

just hoping there was something good, easy, powerful,
that would go 600' (out of the box),
so i don't have to fuss much (e.g. buy, return, try another, repeat ...)

i can have directional at the house, pointed right at where i would be
(on the beach), save for some vegetation in the way,
(how much would 20 feet thick of bushes affect wifi? i hope little),
but at the beach , it will just be a PC, oriented in any random way.

-tl

ted leslie <tleslie-RBVUpeUoHUc at public.gmane.org>