wifi 450-500 feet, almost line of sight, anyone done this?

David J Patrick djp-tnsZcVQxgqO2dHQpreyxbg at public.gmane.org
Sat Aug 15 01:59:02 UTC 2009

ted leslie wrote:
> i have a need to use wifi 450-500 feet away from the base station,
> and the point 500' away is almost line of site, just a few bushes in between.

> i also saw a "dish" wifi, that is supposed to double range,
> but thats sounds fishy,
not at all. directional reflectors (ideally parabolic) are sound
application, not goofy at all.
> i have often wondered about these range boosters,
> given, you have to get the signal back to the unit from the pc,
> so I find these booster hard to believe.
The parabolic focuses the send AND recieve signals, so it's effect
should be balanced. Just find yourself a pair of olde satellite dishes
and either extend the antennas of your routers, or better yet, use two
usb WiFi sticks, weatherproofed and mounted at the focal point of the
dishes. Mount them as High as you dare. Now point the dishes at each other.
In order to optimize the aim of the dishes, you'll want the best signal
analysis software you can find.
good luck,
djp

ps. as jamon said; don't write off the pringles can approach.