OT: Today I Turn 33...!

Tyler Aviss tjaviss-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Aug 12 14:41:54 UTC 2009

On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 7:17 AM, Zbigniew Koziol<softquake-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Someone asked how it is?
>
> I am close to 50.
>
> Yes, I remember when I was in army (forced) in Poland, in 1987.  I was so
> tired and hopeless there, and  since I was "much" older than most of
> soldiers my feeling was that I am so old...
>
> Now it makes me lughting when someone says that he is 33 or something, and
> things that he is old. At 36 I took bicycle and drive from Winnipeg to
> Toronto, with no food, no money, with nothing. Well, now I would probably
> would not do that - thats age difference. But I am still able to do crazy
> things - I come from Canada to Russia for living ;) Most of you would never
> ever be able to do such a thing regardless of your age ;)
>
> Right, mind changes with age. Reactions and thoughts become less
> spontaneous. Is there less creativity? I am not sure. As others noticed,
> that probably depends on the state of mind, if you really are used to use
> your mind. I see around of me a lot of people who are not creative at all,
> regardless of their age. To such an even extend that I feel bored between
> them. And that feeling is with me for the most of my life.
>
> Certainly, if life opportunities contribute into that, one gets wiser with
> age. That sort of wisdom does contribute into creativity. Sure, I could not
> be Einstein anymore (who made his most important works in his early
> twenties).
>
> zb.

A yes, well age *is* relative of course.
My grandfather when in his early 70's was more fit than many people I
know in the 30's. He was a fairly avid outdoorsman (x-cross skiing in
the winter, hiking/trail-biking in summer). I'm guessing that the
fitness of body and mind went well together.

Unfortunately it seems that these days, neither are proof against
cancer. So I suppose that a lesson from that might be to enjoy life as
much as (reasonably/responsibly) possible regardless of one's age.

I just hope I'm in as good shape as he is when I get to my 70's, minus
the cancer of course.

I do find your note about Einstein very interesting too. If his most
important works were in his twenties, then it's amusing that we always
portray him in his aged form. I suppose that wisdom is more associated
with being older, regardless of how clever one is in youth, that or
they didn't have any pictures of him in the younger days :-)

- TJA