Storage Area Network as a tlug meeting topic

William Muriithi william.muriithi-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Apr 29 22:29:01 UTC 2009

Hi,

I am interested in learning more about SAN and it looks like its not
going to be that easy. The biggest reason is that these hardware are
rare and working with one is more like a privilege - akin to using
supercomputers. The second reason is, there is I can not seem to find
a book that present the material in an interesting and practical way.
I naturally went to O'Reilly as I like the way they present material
but their book on the topic is dated. 2002 is a century in the world
of technology. It would  not have anything to do with native multipath
stuff for Linux for example.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multipath_I/O

 I am wondering if anyone among us have been lucky to work extensively
with SAN and would be willing to share the knowledge. I think we could
all gain by exchanging experience on the subject, for example on:

- Good practical reference we have come across -  be either books or web links.
-  Share experience on hardware performance, especially when using
multipathd and Linux in general. Yeah, I could get that information
from the white page, but I will be frank and say I do not trust
marketing department.
-  Any interesting way of gaining experience on the subject without
parting with thousands of dollars.

Ah, one observation, wikipedia has a very good introduction article on
it. I especially liked their diagrams.

Regards,

William