Help. Cannot change sound volume

Mike el.fontanero-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Apr 29 20:34:10 UTC 2009

On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 4:19 PM, Neil Watson <tlug-neil-8agRmHhQ+n2CxnSzwYWP7Q at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 04:10:03PM -0400, Marc Lanctot wrote:
>>
>> What distro are you using? Some need the current user to be in the
>>  sound/audio group. What are your permissions on /dev/dsp?
>
> Debian
>
> lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root  24 2009-04-26 13:32 /dev/sndstat ->
> /proc/asound/oss/sndstat
>
> /dev/snd:
> total 0
> crw-rw----+ 1 root audio 116,  0 2009-04-26 13:32 controlC0
> crw-rw----+ 1 root audio 116,  4 2009-04-26 13:32 hwC0D0
> crw-rw----. 1 root audio 116,  6 2009-04-29 13:17 hwC0D2
> crw-rw----+ 1 root audio 116,  8 2009-04-26 13:32 midiC0D0
> crw-rw----. 1 root audio 116,  9 2009-04-29 13:17 midiC0D1
> crw-rw----. 1 root audio 116, 10 2009-04-29 13:17 midiC0D2
> crw-rw----+ 1 root audio 116, 24 2009-04-29 13:17 pcmC0D0c
> crw-rw----+ 1 root audio 116, 16 2009-04-29 15:20 pcmC0D0p
> crw-rw----+ 1 root audio 116, 25 2009-04-26 13:32 pcmC0D1c
> crw-rw----+ 1 root audio 116, 26 2009-04-26 13:32 pcmC0D2c
> crw-rw----+ 1 root audio 116, 18 2009-04-26 13:32 pcmC0D2p
> crw-rw----+ 1 root audio 116, 19 2009-04-26 13:32 pcmC0D3p
> crw-rw----+ 1 root audio 116,  1 2009-04-26 13:32 seq
> crw-rw----+ 1 root audio 116, 33 2009-04-26 13:32 timer
>
> audio:x:29:neil
>
> This problem persists even after reboots.

If something else is controlling the mixer, you should at least be
able to see it using "lsof | grep dev.snd" or similar.

I know that the sblive is bristling with inputs and outputs, and some
of the outputs are not affected by, for example, the master volume.
Take note of which output you're using - you might want to try others,
and frankly experiment with some of the controls (all channel versus
front/back versus separate stereo controls) and all the separate
volume controls.

It's a great card but suffers a bit from too many configurable
options. Kind of like Linux.

Cheers,
Mike