restating network

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Fri Apr 17 14:04:30 UTC 2009

On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 01:53:53AM -0400, Marc Lanctot wrote:
> I've never found it the best way to learn because:
>
> a) you lose some of the experience you gain from things you need to
> learn during installation eg. finding the right driver for a network
> card because there's a "virtual network card"

Most windows users use a pre installed system.  Learning how to install
the OS is not high on most computer users list of priorities.

> b) it's not a fair comparison of how efficiently Linux will run on the
> hardware, because it's running virtually. "Oh, look Linux is slow.." no,
> virtualized OS's are slow, especially when run from a slow host OS.

Well not everyone is doing it to test, some just want to use it that
way at whatever performance they get.

> c) if you're using up the space on the drive for a virtual disk anyway,
> dual-booting is a better option.

If you can get linux to work perfectly on your hardware and you don't
need access to the windows programs at the same time.  Having access
to a working system and web browser and internet while learning how to
operate linux is actually quite useful.  I certainly didn't have that
option when I started many years ago, but it is available now and makes
sense to use.

> If you don't have the extra hardware, why not dual-boot? This way forces
> you to get familiar with Linux without allowing you to resort to back to
> bad habits like Windows :-p

Well my wife runs linux in vmware on windows because getting wireless
to work under linux can be a nightmare.

--
Len Sorensen