restating network

Marc Lanctot lanctot-yfeSBMgouQgsA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Fri Apr 17 05:53:53 UTC 2009

On 17/04/09 01:10 AM, Dev Guy wrote:

> I am running Linux inside my Windows in VMWare =) ...let the flames begin!

I won't flame you about that, but I will point out that your mailer
sends out long lines. Could you look into wrapping them at 80 columns?

> OK it's a great way for me to learn Linux, but I have noticed at time Linux will have any network connection.

I've never found it the best way to learn because:

a) you lose some of the experience you gain from things you need to
learn during installation eg. finding the right driver for a network
card because there's a "virtual network card"

b) it's not a fair comparison of how efficiently Linux will run on the
hardware, because it's running virtually. "Oh, look Linux is slow.." no,
virtualized OS's are slow, especially when run from a slow host OS.

c) if you're using up the space on the drive for a virtual disk anyway,
dual-booting is a better option.

If you don't have the extra hardware, why not dual-boot? This way forces
you to get familiar with Linux without allowing you to resort to back to
bad habits like Windows :-p

> I know enough to use ifconfig to see if my eth0 card is up and running. Today I had to add eth0 after bootup using ipconfig, but noticed only a ipv6 address and not the ipv4 was assigned. Thus no network access for me.
>
> So my question is how to I reinit the network so I can get internet working? I am having to reboot to fix this but it get's annoying at times.

Two ways which will work in most Linux distros, as root:

1.

(This might be Debian and/or Ubunto specific.. not sure)

ifdown eth0  # should not need this if it's already down :)
ifup eth0

2.

/etc/init.d/networking restart

(note that /etc/init.d/* are scripts used to start/stop services. They
are run at bootup, depending on the init level you boot it-- default one
is found in /etc/inittab. The scripts per initlevel are sym linked from
/etc/rc$INITLEVEL.d/ )

Marc

--
There is not now, nor has there ever been, nor will there ever be, any
programming language in which it is the least bit difficult to write