scary things at CRTC

JoeHill joehill-R6A+fiHC8nRWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org
Wed Apr 8 18:48:13 UTC 2009

Scott Elcomb wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 1:24 PM, JoeHill <joehill-R6A+fiHC8nRWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> > Dave Germiquet wrote:
> >
> >> And a side note,
> >>
> >> Everything all boils down to Faith...Even Faith in science, when you
> >> get to the ROOT of everything its all based on Faith.
> >
> > Now _I'm_ insulted.
> >
> > That is just not true _at all_. Science is based on verification through
> > experimentation, and a good scientist takes _nothing_ on faith. Science is a
> > question. It questions everything, including itself, constantly. These
> > claims people make about science being based on faith betray an utter lack
> > of understanding about what scientists actually do.
> >
> > This anti-science hogwash is fit for the dung-heap, and has been ever since
> > it reared its ugly head with people like that mentally deranged Ronald
> > Reagan almost 30 years ago.
>
> I'll reply to this and then to Giles' message.  I'll not add anything
> further to this thread after that.
>
> I agree with Dave and don't see any reason to disagree with you except
> for the "anti-science hogwash."  It's not anti-science at all, in fact
> it's proof.

How does that work exactly?

> All science comes down to is this:  A theory is valid and acceptable
> until a better theory comes along.  This requires a certain amount of
> faith.  Consider that we, as a species, are still struggling with very
> difficult concepts.  What is thought?

How is that faith exactly? Sounds like a question to me. No one has given a
single example of science making any claims based on faith. They just keep
asking inane questions.

...and here's the difference, one more time, for the slow: where science does
not have an answer, it says 'I don't know'. Religion has no such humility.