scary things at CRTC

Scott Elcomb psema4-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Apr 8 19:01:45 UTC 2009

I don't want to be drawn into this.  I don't believe it appropriate
for this thread.

Please direct further comments about my sub-thread(s) to my.inbox.  Thanks.

On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 2:48 PM, JoeHill <joehill-R6A+fiHC8nRWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Scott Elcomb wrote:

[...]
>> > This anti-science hogwash is fit for the dung-heap, and has been ever since
>> > it reared its ugly head with people like that mentally deranged Ronald
>> > Reagan almost 30 years ago.
>>
>> I'll reply to this and then to Giles' message.  I'll not add anything
>> further to this thread after that.
>>
>> I agree with Dave and don't see any reason to disagree with you except
>> for the "anti-science hogwash."  It's not anti-science at all, in fact
>> it's proof.
>>
> How does that work exactly?
>
>> All science comes down to is this:  A theory is valid and acceptable
>> until a better theory comes along.  This requires a certain amount of
>> faith.  Consider that we, as a species, are still struggling with very
>> difficult concepts.  What is thought?
>
> How is that faith exactly? Sounds like a question to me. No one has given a
> single example of science making any claims based on faith. They just keep
> asking inane questions.

The premise.  A theory is valid until proven otherwise.  My
interpretation is that this means the belief you have in any given
(current) theory may be misplaced.  It may not in fact be valid.  Lots
of religions state things that may not be valid.

I believe in the scientific method, but our theories are not complete.
 Whether religion can further the knowledge that we believe we have,
remains to be seen.

> ...and here's the difference, one more time, for the slow: where science does
> not have an answer, it says 'I don't know'. Religion has no such humility.

Religion by itself does not, but many representatives of the varied
religions are.  Individuals have humility, not sets of communities
like "science" or "religion."  I've met a great many people that I
respect as much for their beliefs as for their humility.

--
  Scott Elcomb
  http://www.psema4.com/