scary things at CRTC

Scott Elcomb psema4-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Apr 8 18:11:20 UTC 2009

On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 1:24 PM, JoeHill <joehill-R6A+fiHC8nRWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Dave Germiquet wrote:
>
>> And a side note,
>>
>> Everything all boils down to Faith...Even Faith in science, when you
>> get to the ROOT of everything its all based on Faith.
>
> Now _I'm_ insulted.
>
> That is just not true _at all_. Science is based on verification through
> experimentation, and a good scientist takes _nothing_ on faith. Science is a
> question. It questions everything, including itself, constantly. These claims
> people make about science being based on faith betray an utter lack of
> understanding about what scientists actually do.
>
> This anti-science hogwash is fit for the dung-heap, and has been ever since it
> reared its ugly head with people like that mentally deranged Ronald Reagan
> almost 30 years ago.

I'll reply to this and then to Giles' message.  I'll not add anything
further to this thread after that.

I agree with Dave and don't see any reason to disagree with you except
for the "anti-science hogwash."  It's not anti-science at all, in fact
it's proof.

All science comes down to is this:  A theory is valid and acceptable
until a better theory comes along.  This requires a certain amount of
faith.  Consider that we, as a species, are still struggling with very
difficult concepts.  What is thought?  Why can we question and
investigate things -- curiosities, origins, and even existence itself.
 Science is great (I love it anyway) but it's hardly complete.

As a person who's wanted to "be a scientist" since I was I child
(about 7yrs old) I don't see any conflict between these points of
view.

--
  Scott Elcomb
  http://www.psema4.com/