openVpN Linux (server) Window (client)

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Thu Sep 25 11:14:25 UTC 2008

William Muriithi wrote:
> Hi James,
>
> Thanks for finally getting back on this. I am wondering though, do you
> use it between the two computers only or can you get to any computer
> on the LAN the VPN server is sitting in?  I have had a peer to peer
> connection between the server and client for days now, but I can not
> reach any other host on the server LAN. That is where I am stuck.

The VPN terminates on my firewall and I can reach any computer on my
home network, from the remote computer.  Did you notice that route
command at the end of the config file.  That's what adds the routing for
the remote end.  You'll also need a corresponding route at the other
end.  If the network end terminates on a computer, other than the one
used for your firewall, you'll need routing specified on each device.
Otherwise, the default route takes care of it.  Use Wireshark to see
what's happening.