youtube no sound

Mr Chris Aitken chris-n/jUll39koHNgV/OU4+dkA at public.gmane.org
Wed Sep 24 23:48:58 UTC 2008

Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 24, 2008 at 09:26:34AM -0400, Mr Chris Aitken wrote:
>
>> I just called my ISP. They told me that they are not doing anything new
>> that would interfere with sound from youtube. They said I will have to
>> contact youtube directly (as if that would be possible). So, what's the
>> 411? Is youtube limiting streaming (if that's what it's called) to get
>> people on paid subscription in anticiptaion of the new Canadian
>> copyright laws or what? Youtube has become a critical tool in giving
>> guitar lessons. Students come in asking to play songs I've never heard.
>> So, I go to youtube, type in "Wonderwall Oasis", listen to the song,
>> download the tab, and we're off. I would probably pay for a youtube
>> subscription if I had to.
>>

> Maybe your speakers are off,
No (see above) - I can play music through Nuendo (XP) and Totem (linux).

> or your flash plugin isn't configured to
> allow sound or is using the wrong sound device, or something else is
> using the sound device and not sharing.
>
> No ISP would go through the trouble of trying to take apart flash
> programs in a stream and modify them.  That's just rediculous to even
> consider.

It /is/ rEdiculous.

>  The problem is with your computer or setup of it,

/Which/ computer? It's happening simultaneously on an XP and a linux
machine. And what "setup" do XP and ubuntu have in common?

> not with
> your ISP and almost certainly not with youtube either.

Well, I guess you're right about the ISP and youtube - I just found out
youtube is playing music on my daughter's ubunut 8.04 machine downstairs...

Chris