youtube no sound

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Fri Sep 26 14:42:55 UTC 2008

| From: Mr Chris Aitken <chris-n/jUll39koHNgV/OU4+dkA at public.gmane.org>

| I can't hear youtube on either of my computers. One computer is running XP and
| the other is running ubuntu 8.04. From both computers I can play music (for
| example from Nuendo in XP and from Totem in linux).
|
| So, I'm thinking the problem is with youtube or my ISP blocking the sound or
| whatever.

As others have noted, the problem is likely in your house.

Probably two problems, at least: different ones for each OS.

I don't use Flash.  So I don't know much about it.  You could try that
too :-)  Flash is a source of a lot of problems.

I did read this in the Fedora mailing list.  It may apply to Ubuntu
8.04:

    The Adobe Flash player *may* need libflashsupport to be able to
    play sound.  Apparently, for some systems, it isn't needed, hence
    why it's not a required dependency that'll get automatically added
    by yum when you install the Flash player, itself.

Both Ubuntu 8.04 and Fedora use the new PulseAudio sound system and it
creates a bunch of problems.  In the long term, it should be a Good
Thing, but we're in the short term right now :-).  Heaven knows Linux
sound systems are a bit of a mess (OSS -> Alsa -> PulseAudio).

PulseAudio does have some limitations.  For example, I think that it
always does software mixing, even if the sound hardware can do mixing.
Another is that it might add more latency or jitter than sound
engineers want, so serious sound software may want to bypass it.

Good luck.

You might consider asking on a Ubuntu forum since that has a high
concentration of Ubuntu users.  Maybe even developers.  Oh, and before
asking, do some searching: you are unlikely to be the first to
encounter the problem.