Debian Lenny and release dates

Ian Petersen ispeters-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Oct 17 14:59:08 UTC 2008

On Fri, Oct 17, 2008 at 10:13 AM, Ken O. Burtch <ken-8VyUGRzHQ8IsA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> It's an open source "virtual appliance" tool that allows Linux to run on a
> Windows machine without using a full-blown virtualization system like
> vmware.  Double click "Fedora.bat" and get a Linux console in a DOS window.
>  Configure X and you can run X-Windows applications (like the KDE konsole,
> in which I am typing this email) in Windows.

Just wanted to add a small technical detail: it's basically a port of
the Linux kernel to NT, sort of like User-Mode Linux but for Windows.
Running coLinux amounts to running the kernel as a process on a
Windows machine.  I _think_ I remember that there's some feature of
either the NT kernel or the Windows API that allows the kernel to be a
"special" process in this context and you're _almost_ running two
kernels at the same time, but I'm not sure about that.

Ian