Partitioning on RHEL

Asaf Maruf asafmaruf-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Oct 10 15:36:55 UTC 2008

Hello all

I found this formula on Redhat site for calculating swap size.

"Swap space can be a dedicated swap partition (recommended), a swap file, or
a combination of swap partitions and swap files.

Swap should equal 2x physical RAM for up to 2 GB of physical RAM, and then
an additional 1x physical RAM for any amount above 2 GB, but never less than
32 MB.

So, if:

M = Amount of RAM in GB, and S = Amount of swap in GB, then

If M < 2
	S = M *2
Else
	S = M + 2

 Using this formula, a system with 2 GB of physical RAM would have 4 GB of
swap, while one with 3 GB of physical RAM would have 5 GB of swap. Creating
a large swap space partition can be especially helpful if you plan to
upgrade your RAM at a later time."

This confirms my calculation as well.

Asaf